It has been awhile since I have read Dante's Inferno, but I can only imagine that I am surely in one of the circles of hell right now. I'm hoping it's a roundtrip ticket, but to be honest, I don't know at this point.
There are many things that genuinely suck about becoming an adult. When I taught, I often wondered why the students I taught were in such a rush to do grown up things as being an adult is very overrated. In addition to the everyday chores and responsibilities that make being an adult unpleasant, there is the fact that my parents are getting older too.
I pride myself on not having many fears. Do I like spiders or snakes? Not particularly, but I'm also not really afraid of them. I don't enjoy amusement park rides that send me plummeting, but I will still go on them. I have no problem watching horror movies for bed. I'm not afraid to be home alone. I have gone through basically every "haunted" house in a fifty mile radius. I typically just come out annoyed that my shoes are scuffed or smelly. My one inescapable all-consuming fear is that I will lose someone I love.
Since finding out my dad has cancer, I go through a gamut of emotions everyday. There are moments that I can't hold the floodgates of tears back anymore, and there are moments where I believe everything will be okay. The one emotion that stays with me through the day is paralyzing fear.
I don't know what is coming. I don't know how my dad will get through everything. I don't know how to be there for my parents when I can't always be there physically. I don't know how my mom is going to keep a home running while taking care of my dad. I don't know if my parents will be honest with us about what is going on with them. Even though my brother and I are adults, I really suspect my parents will still try to protect us. All of the uncertainty causes a fear that even I can't put into words.
Dante emerged from hell. Will I though?
https://www.medgift.com/EvenSupermanNeedsaHand
No comments:
Post a Comment